How to open and change HEIC files on Windows: If you want to convert an image in HEIC format to JPG to save it on your phone directly with the desired extension, we will explain the easy steps to do it. You will also find out a few things about this format. Concentrate on these lines and you will learn quickly.
What is the HEIC Format?
Apple decided to apply a new format for photos and images from the iOS 11 update, namely the HEIC format.
HEIC or HEIF is a High Efficiency Image Format. Apple made this new format to replace JPEG in their cell phones. The reason for its existence is to reduce file weight to optimize the storage capacity of the phone. This will allow you to save more images and edits without having to free up space too often. HEIC is a very handy format, but Windows hasn’t fully adopted Apple’s new image format, so the native app doesn’t fully support HEIC by default.
If you want to open HEIC files on Windows, you will have to download the relevant codec or convert it to a compatible jpg format manually.
How to open “HEIC” files on Windows
How to Open HEIC Files in Windows 10 With Codecs application
You can open HEIC files by installing two codecs from Microsoft – HEIF Image Extensions at the link below:
For how to install, you just click the link above, and you will automatically be directed to the Windows Store, from the Windows Store you simply press the Get button. This application is an Official application owned by Microsoft and of course Free.
Convert HEIC to JPG
If you want to convert HEIC files to jpg format which format is more widely compatible in Windows. You can use the iMazing HEIC Converter application.
We recommend using the iMazing HEIC Converter, of course, for good reason. This is a free utility that you can use to easily convert batches of HEIC files to JPG or PNG formats and of course we tried them first.
The following is how to convert HEIC to JPG format on Windows
- Download and install iMazing HEIC Converter first. On the Microsoft Store website or on the Website https://imazing.com/
- Perform the installation and open iMazing HEIC Converter. Then, go to the File menu and select Open Files to select the files you want to convert.
- After that, select the converted format you want (JPG or PNG), you can also use the Quality option to adjust the quality of the converted results. then select Convert.
- Next, specify the folder where the Convert results will be saved.
- The final step is to click Show Files to open the converted files to JPG in File Explorer or you select the OK option to go back and convert more HEIC files.