Microsoft officially announced the presence of the Windows 11 operating system (OS) in June 2021. Windows 11 can be installed on a computer or laptop with a dual core processor (CPU) or more, with a minimum speed of 1 GHz. Windows 11 requires a minimum of 4 GB of RAM, and the remaining 64 GB of storage media.
Before switching to the latest Windows operating system, users should first check whether their device supports Windows 11. Now you may be wondering if your Windows 10 PC can run Windows 11 and what are the system requirements for Windows 11?
Requirements to Install Windows 11
Microsoft has shared an official list of minimum computer requirements or hardware specifications to help people identify whether their device specifications will be compatible and support Windows 11 or not.
these are the minimum system requirements that your PC must meet to be able to install windows 11:
- Processor/CPU (Central Processing Unit): 1 GHz or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC). This is because the processor in your PC will be the main determining factor for running windows 11.
- RAM: 4GB or more
- Display: High definition (720p) display larger than 9 inches, 8 bits per color channel. If your screen size is less than 9 inches, certain Windows user interfaces may not be fully visible.
- Storage: 64 GB or larger storage device (HDD, SSD).
- System Firmware: UEFI (for Unified Extensible Firmware Interface, modern versions of PC BIOS) and Secure Boot capable.
- TPM: Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
- Requires an internet connection and a Microsoft account to complete device setup on first use (OOBE).
- Windows Version to Upgrade: Your device must be running Windows 10, version 2004 or later, to upgrade via Windows Update. Free updates are available via Windows Update in Settings > Update and Security.
The following processors are compatible or support Windows 11 systems:
- Intel Processor.
- Qualcomm Processor
To find out if their PC meets the minimum system requirements for Windows 11 and is eligible for an upgrade, Microsoft provides the PC Health Check app for Windows 10 PCs.
This application serves to check whether your PC meets the system requirements criteria to run Windows 11 or not
How to check whether our PC/laptop can run Windows 11 or not using Windows PC Health Check
- Go to the following official Microsoft page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11
- Scroll down until you find the “Download PC Health Check App” option, click on it to download the PC Health Check app.
- Once downloaded, double-click on the Downloaded file, then tick the option “I accept the terms in the License Agreement”. Next, click “Install”.
- Open the PC Health Check application after the installation process is complete, . Then, click the “Check Now” option.
- Next the system application will issue a result indicating whether your laptop supports Windows 11 update or not..
- If it supports updating, it will display the message “This PC meets Windows 11 requirements”
- You can click on the “See all results” button to see what specifications of your laptop meet the requirements